Saturday, August 1, 2015

Finding a Job is Hard

I'm eighteen and bound for college this fall with one goal that I can't quite fulfill... to make some extra cash!

This summer, instead of piling on the extracurricular activities and internships or study abroad programs like I've done in the past, I chose to leave my whole entire summer completely free and un-booked. 

I'll admit I partially did this because of how exhausted I had become of trying to impress colleges with fancy shmancy summer programs (when it ultimately resulted in major heartbreak from the colleges I most pined for) but I also did this so I could have a decent amount of money in my savings account before college. My job has searched hasn't exactly gone as planned.
I started applying for basic jobs, such as at a retail store, around May and gave up around mid-July. My resume is pretty impressive as far as internships go (by impressive, I mean for a high school student), but while it may have impressed a college admissions panel or two, I don't have any actual work experience. Yes, I've had internships revolved around careers I'm considering pursuing after college, but I've never had those typical jobs like as a sales associate, cashier, or waitress. 

I was frustrated at first that I couldn't manage to get any employer to hire me but alas I have not lost hope. Neither should you if you're on the same boat! Even though a job in retail might seem so minuscule, it really intimidated me at first. I remember pacing frantically in front of an American Apparel with a "We're Hiring!" sign before finally stepping into the store to give my resume and embarrass myself by blabbering about how I am 18 and therefore legally capable of working there. 
Even through my rejections I've learned so much about entering the work force-- all of which is valuable knowledge! Even though I may have failed this summer at getting a job, I feel more prepared on what to expect and have already starting planning where I'll apply next year! 

Thanks for listening!


No comments:

Post a Comment